Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Reading Reflection No.3

For my last reading reflection I chose The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users, by Guy Kawaski

1. What was the general argument or theme of the book?


This book talked about all the various uses and benefits of social media, apart form the common personal reasons people use it to post about themselves. It goes deeper into the self promotion, marketing and displacement functions that people should be taking advantage of rather than posting the same picture of your dog or where you vacationed this summer. 

2. How did, in your opinion, this book connect with and enhance what you are learning currently in ENT 3003? 

The book talked a lot about how to expand your business through the various uses of social media. This is right on track with what we have been covering in the class, especially with the many proposals of our own "future" business and how we would expand it. Social media today is the most prevalent strategy in expanding the reach and visibility of the business. 

3. If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would the exercise involved? 

I would probably ask for a mock of social media strategy plan. This would include which social media they would use, amount of posts, expected number of likes/shares and a strategy they would employ to increase the likes and shares each time. As a marketing major this is stuff I would most likely be needing to know/doing in my future career. So it will definitely be beneficial. 

4. What was your biggest surprise or "aha" moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed the most form your expectations. 

My personal "aha" moment was when he started talking about feeding the "Content Monster", which is what they call the moment when you figure what type of content it is that you need to be posting on your social media accounts. I liked the term they used and how it was a play on words for a real need. 

2 comments:

  1. Brooke,

    I'm glad you chose to read this book, as it was the other option that I was going to choose for my reflection. I honestly wonder if any of people that post advertisements about social media marketing even read this book. I feel like in this day and age, social media is a necessity when looking to expand one's business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    I contemplated reading this book for our last reading assignment as well as this one, but I’m glad someone else did to give me an idea of what the book is like. Social media, as we can see by the way our world is changing is a place that is no longer just about posting pictures but it has become a place to promote your and inevitably get more out of your experience.

    ReplyDelete